[metapost] Processing comma separated values

Nicola nvitacolonna at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 11:35:12 CET 2010

In article <alpine.LNX.2.01.1002271718330.21623 at ybpnyubfg.ybpnyqbznva>,
 Aditya Mahajan <adityam at umich.edu> wrote:

> Is the METAFONTbook the only source to learn such tricks?

No, there is also this mailing list :)

Despite its title, The METAFONTbook is *the* reference manual on
MetaPost, the same way as The TeXBook is for TeX. With the difference
that, for TeX, there are other somewhat comprehensive sources, but for
MetaPost there is none (to my knowledge), although there are several
good tutorials about its most commonly used features (which suffices for
most people anyway). Only a small fraction of the book is
MetaFont-specific, and only the most recent additions to MetaPost are
not described there (but they are explained in detail in the User
Manual).

I think that the book title misleads many people (that was my case, for
example) and that's unfortunate, because many interesting MetaPost
features and techniques are unknown to the masses. How many users do
know about the 'flex' macro? How about 'tensepath', 'penpos' and
'penstroke'? Who remembers that MetaPost has a 'solve' macro to solve
some non-linear equations? Etc... Not to mention the insight one would
gain on the power of equations (which, for me, is what sets MetaPost
atop of other drawing languages) by reading the corresponding chapter.

Nicola