[metapost] ! MetaPost capacity exceeded

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Feb 7 10:15:50 CET 2009

Steve MC Han wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to increase memory size in Metapost? This is what I got.

You don't say what platform/distribution you are using, but it seems
you have texlive 2007. In any case, the following advice is for tex-live
based systems; miktex has a different inifile mechanism.

In texmf.cnf, there is a parameter named main_memory, which is
set at 1500000 in your installation. To find texmf.cnf:

   $ kpsewhich texmf.cnf

You can increase that parameter up to (if I recall correctly) 8000000.

Afterwards, you have to regenerate the format(s) via fmtutil.
If you want your change to affect only metapost, add or change
main_memory.mpost only. Otherwise, you will have to regerate the
latex etc. formats as well.

Best wishes,
Taco