[metapost] [bug] documentation of length operator

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Mar 10 09:29:40 CET 2007

Hi Stephan,

Stephan Hennig wrote:

>> The file mpman is really a "Not so Short Introduction to Metapost".
>> I haven't read them lately, but mpman or mpintro used to say as much.
>
> on the other hand, I think, mpman should advertise as such more cleary
> in the abstract. Currently, it doesn't really point out that
> "The METAFONTbook" is the true MetaPost reference:

I believe mpman *should* be the MetaPost reference manual, even
though it is not a learner's manual like the metafont book.

However, that requires quite a few bit of work: writing some missing
chapters, checking everything, and integrating the stuff from the
graph manual. I have no time to do any of that. I would be more
interested in doing all that work if it was for a (commercial) book,
but even then I would not have time to start on it until after the
summer.

> suggests by its length alone that it's complete).  IMHO, either it is
> complete or it should be completely left out.  Declaring it broken by
> design is no satisfying solution.

With that, I agree totally.

Cheers, Taco