[metapost] sh error makempx

jkitz at verizon.net jkitz at verizon.net
Sat Jul 7 21:49:20 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 20:06 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 7/7/07, jkitz at verizon.net <jkitz at verizon.net> wrote:
> > Ubuntu Fiesty, TexLive2007, and metapost 1.00.
> >
> > The following problem does not occur when I run from terminal, but I
> > would like to automate through editor external program calls.
> >
> > gedit and Texmaker external program calls to metapost for plain files
> > work fine:
> >
> > beginfig(1);
> >   draw unitsquare scaled 1cm;
> > endfig;
> > end.
> >
> > Compiles, but when makempx is needed:
> >
> > beginfig(1);
> >   draw btex $A$ etex;
> > endfig;
> > end.
> >
> > I get the error:
> >
> > sh: makempx: not found
> >
> > Not sure what the source of this issue is. May not be mp as it does not
> > happen from terminal, only from editor calls, but any insight
> > appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Ask
>     which makempx
>
> (here it's /usr/texbin/makempx)
>
> In terminal it's usually in PATH. I don't know if the same PATH is set
> when you call metapost from external programs.
>
> Mojca

Thank you Mojca.

crow at ignatz:/$ which mpost
/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux/mpost
crow at ignatz:/$ which makempx
/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux/makempx

Here is how I set the path for call from gedit and Texmaker:

/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux/mpost{filespec differs}

This  compiles the first example but not the second. Perhaps I am being
over simplistic, but it seems that if mpost calls makempx correctly from
the command line, and starting mpost from within an editor works on
files where mpost makes no call, it should also work when it needs to
make a call?

--John