[metapost] [mp-implementors] MetaPost Manual Initial Graphic

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Fri Apr 20 15:06:24 CEST 2007

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Stephan Hennig wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan schrieb:
>
>>> *  How many graphics would you prefer on the title page, some small
>>> graphics or only one fully featured one?
>>
>> Actually, one fully featured one is better, as it will show that
>> metapost can be used for "complicated" graphics. But, I am not sure if
>> there are graphics like this.
>
> I've raised the question, since on one hand I have to fully agree with
> you.  On the other hand, examples from different applications could
> catch a larger audience.  Unfortunately, there have been not that many
> contributions so far.  In fact, only L. Nobre G. contributed two figures
> and a third is from me.  I didn't tell more in my other mail to keep
> your answers unbiased.   Well, there have not been many replies to the
> whole subject at all.
>
> I don't want to push any title graphic into the v1.0 release.  If we do
> not have the right thing we can as well wait with that.  In this regard,
> I want to ask two new questions:
>
> Do you think mpman should have title graphics?
>
> Do any of the figures currently available should make it in to v1.0?  Or
> should we wait?

My honest reaction to this was that only the gnupost figure stood out.
Let me ask an additional questional:

Should the figure be practical (the sort you will need to make
everyday), or should there be a wow effect (that is on seeing the
figure you say, wow, I wish I could make that). The figure in most
metapost manuals, metaobj, expressg, mfpic are practical figures. The
figures in the tikz manual have the wow effect.

I have a couple of figures that are practical and do not have the wow
effect. I will send them (sometime later) to you.

>>> *  Other comments?
>>
>> Do include some figure with color and shading.
>
> "Evacuation" has some shading and transparency could be added to "gnupost".
>

>>> *  Any more examples out there?  Category "function graph" isn't covered
>>> yet.
>>
>> The reimann integral graphics available at the syracuse website look
>> pretty nice.
>
> Do you have an URL?  I couldn't find anything searching for "syracuse
> reimann" or "syracuse riemann".

Sorry, about not giving the url:

http://melusine.eu.org/syracuse/metapost/galeries/courbes02/08riemann.html

http://melusine.eu.org/syracuse/metapost/cours/sarlat/integration/