[metapost] MetaPost - terminally ill or just playing dead? Also New Version

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Mar 23 18:18:09 CET 2006

    ! MetaPost capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=2199001].

Did you increase it?  The default I see (the main_memory setting in
teTeX/TL texmf.cnf) is 1 500 000.  Does mp use something else these days?

Perhaps we should double that, or more.  I'm not sure.

I don't know what else we can do, though, since I doubt Taco plans to
rewrite all the memory handling code :), so that it can be truly be
dynamically allocated.  That has been needed for at least 20 years, but
it's not exactly trivial, given Knuth's original code relying on these
fixed arrays in many nefarious ways.  As I recall.