[metapost] MetaPost - terminally ill or just playing dead?

Laurence Finston lfinsto1 at gwdg.de
Thu Mar 23 10:31:20 CET 2006

> Newcomers do care.

If they decide to use MetaPost, there are people who will be glad to answer
their questions.  I, for one, have no interest in trying to persuade them.

Free Software is provided on a take-it-or-leave-it basis.  Knuth and Hobby
have moved on to other things.  Taco and the other MP developers are actively
working on developing it.  Other people sometimes publish macros, front-ends,
etc., and answer questions.  I think that ought to be enough.

> While 2D features of metapost form a consistent and well-documented set,
> 3D packages for it are being developed.
> Whae a newbie choses a free light-weight 3D graphics package with TeX
> support to invest his time into (learning, beta-testing, patching), then
> not only the current set of features matters, but also the likelihood
> of future enhancement and support. In this respect the size of userbase
> and the volume of development activity matters.

I don't know about the other developers of 3D software related to MP, but no
one has ever asked me about these things.  If anyone ever did want me to
increase my "volume of development activity", I'd ask whether they'd like to
provide me with a way of making a living.

Laurence