[metapost] variable parameter list

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Fri Feb 10 12:32:33 CET 2006

Jens-Uwe Morawski schrieb:

> def processKeyvals (text _kvps_)=

Great! Will CTAN ever see this piece of code? Since I do not completely
understand what's going on here I'd like to ask some additional
questions regarding the code.

>   begingroup;
>     save _equals, _assign ;
>     let _equals= = ;

Is it true that there would be no need to save '=' (for the final for
loop) if one chose another assignment character in keyval syntax, e.g.,
a colon? (Since this perfectly works there's no need for changing that.)

>     primarydef _ll_ _assign _rr_ =
>       hide(_ll_ _equals _rr_ ) 1

An arbitrary return value (zero or -1) would work here as well?

>     enddef;
>
>     save = ;
>     let = _equals _assign ;

What is the difference in '=' before and after these changes? As I
understand it '=' refers to _assign which in turn refers to _equals
which is the same as '='.

>     for _xx_ _equals _kvps_ : endfor ;% NOP
                                          ^^^
                                          Hardly. :)