[metapost] MetaPost 0.992 and %&latex

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Dec 18 00:09:38 CET 2006

    Your texmf.cnf needs an additional line containing
       TEX = pdfetex

Or you could set the environment variable TEX to pdfetex (I believe), if
editing the right texmf.cnf is not obvious.  (Running
  kpsewhich texmf.cnf  should tell you.)

Taco, does the new makempx expect $TEX to create a .pdf, or still a
.dvi, or does it matter?  The --help message (unchanged as far as I can
recall) mentions .dvi but not .pdf.

If it's supposed to be a .dvi, I surmise that TEX should be set to
"etex" rather than "pdfetex", since "pdfetex" creates a pdf by default.
Unless makempx does something to force dvi mode.

Sorry if I'm missing something.

karl