[metapost] shipout filenames

h h extern pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Mar 13 17:51:15 CET 2005

Larry Siebenmann wrote:

> In this vein, what is the priority you assign to
> providing direct PDF output for mp?  It is harder to
> accomplish, but the payoff is more substantial.

oh, that one has a low priority, esp since we can easily convert the current
output to pdf using tex; imagine that you need to write a complete font handler
as well as a pdf contructor kit while actually pdftex is already doing it for free;

a more probable first step in getting different output (as discussed in the
metapost bof session at eurotex) is to come up with a dedicated xml output
syntax so that one can use that as a starting point for external converters

[considering pdf output, think of shapes, text, color, transparencies, shading
and alike ... first of all we need an [also discussed] properties extension to mp]

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE