[metapost] Strange infont results

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Jul 9 11:23:15 CEST 2005

Ovidiu Gheorghies wrote:
> The metapost generated output is at
>
> http://www.infoiasi.ro/~ogh/files

Fetched the files, and I believe I've found the problem. The
output from MetaPost is fine, but the conversion to pdf is
causing the disappearing "]" and "}".

The bug is caused by a combination of the latest MPtoPDF from
Hans Hagen with an older MetaPost executable. The problem
will go away when you finish updating your MetaPost (I will
write a bug report to Hans Hagen separately).

> As for the plain.mem, I'm not sure I did that: what is it?

That should have been mpost.mem, not plain.mem (my mistake).
It's like a TeX format file, but for metapost.

It follows from your comment that you didn't use the latest
metapost after all, because if you would have, you would have
gotten an error message about mpost.mem not matching the
executable.

So, you probably installed the new executable(s) to the wrong
location. After reading the INSTALL, you'll have to do some
searching on your harddisk. When the executables are installed,
you must find mpost.mem, go to the directory it is in, and run:

    # mpost -ini mpost.ini

After that, your problems should be fixed.

> Do you think that if I install the latest TeX Live from
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/Images/
> I stand a chance of getting this fixed?

A chance, yes. I guess that would effectively downgrade MPtoPDF,
thereby solving the problem. But just installing the new MetaPost
is a better Idea.

Greetings, Taco