[metapost] shading in meta[post/play] & PDF

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec1 at email.si
Sat Jan 15 06:16:48 CET 2005

There's a wonderful tutorial on drawing 3D graphics in PostScript on
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/, specifically
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/code/doughnut.eps as an
example.

And there's a detailed description on shading in PostScript in
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/PLRM.pdf, page 259
(I attached an example and have some more on computer if anyone is
interested; I downloaded them from Adobe, but don't know the URL any
more) or on shading in PDF in
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/pdf/PDFReference16.pdf,
page 272. (They're basically the same.)

In metapost, "perfect" spheres can be drawn, like on
http://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/cdsmpls.html. But how can I add colour?

Even if it would be too tricky to add colour and proper shading on the
sphere - Is there any possibility to use advanced shading techiques
described in PLRM inside metapost/metaplay for the most simple cases,
say, like in the attached example? Metaplay allows circular and gradient
shading and no others. I don't mind if I had to hard-code the shading.

PSTricks allows some more advanced shading techniques and even direct
PostScript code integration (with \special I think). Is anything similar
possible in metapost/play?

The spheres drawn directly in PostScript as in the examples above still
have straight lines (well, I agree that with some mathematics it would
be possible to draw them with proper splines as well).

Thanks for all the suggestions,
	Mojca