[metafont] Re: [metapost] TeX and MF: Fast-loading of core image

Laurence Finston lfinsto1 at gwdg.de
Thu Jan 6 12:49:11 CET 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Now, this is getting off-topic, but for what it's worth, I want to
> reaffirm what the other people said: You don't really want to do it.
> You don't want to do it.  Repeat with us :)

Thanks for your response and your convincing arguments.
The other people who have responded had already
convinced me that it wasn't a good idea, but I'm still
interested in knowing how to do it, even though I almost
certainly won't actually do it (unless I ever have a lot of time
on my hands).

I wasn't going to try doing it for TeX or MF---I was
considering doing it for GNU 3DLDF.

> The reason is that any such approaches are extremely fragile.  I know,
> because I am working on operating systems, and our own system
> (GNU/Hurd)

I am very interested in the Hurd.  It's actually the only
operating system I'm really interested in, except insofar as
I have to use GNU/Linux for developing my own software.  I hope
to have a computer of my own someday so I can try to port
GNU 3DLDF to the Hurd.

Laurence