[metapost] a generic class of cubic bezier curves

Larry Siebenmann laurent at math.toronto.edu
Mon Feb 14 02:45:13 CET 2005

Hi All,

As I mentioned here a few days ago, back in december 1901,
specifically in a note on the metafont list entitled
"cubic (but non-quadratic) bezier curves" <Date: Sat, 15
Dec 2001 15:17:14 -0500>,  I was on the verge of posting
an affine classification of a generic class of bezier cubic
curves in R^2:-

 <<  It is the first (non-degenerate) case that is of
most geometric interest since one always finds a pair of
inflection points, or else one double point, or else
(exceptionally) a cusp. No time to explain this further
trichotomy today! >>

The archives of the metafont list are at

http://www.gutenberg.eu.org/pub/GUTenberg/archives/metafont/

and my postings of that month are all fairly basic to an
understanding of bezier cubics and bezier quadratics.

The longish sequel posting that I prepared back then has
slept quietly for several years. I am posting it today since
several mp experts are exploring in this direction.

Today, I would be inclined to explain this classification
somewhat differently, placing more emphasis on derivation
and integration of bezier curves. On the other hand,
leaving things as originally explained is sometimes best.
If the exposition is unclear just ask questions
and someone will answer.

A couple of a posteriori comments may help readers:
  (i) The (constant!) cubic axis vector C, which plays a
central role in what follows, is (1/6) of the third time
derivative vector F'''(t) of the Bezier cubic curve F(t).
It is equally the asymptotic direction of F(t) from any point
in R^2 as time tends to \pm \infty.
  (ii) Bezier cubics with cusp (which are affinely
unstable) could have been excluded from the discussion by
reinforcing the genericity conditions imposed --
insisting that the first derivative path F'(t) describe a
non-degenarate parabola in R^2.  The reinforced genericity
then becomes equivalent to affine stability.

Laurent S.

MY UNPOSTED NOTE(S) OF DEC 2001: