[OS X TeX] benchmark a pdflatexmk run on a Mac Studio?

Doug McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Tue May 3 03:53:02 CEST 2022

So here's one more M1 vs. Intel data point, tested just now.

I've got a program-generated LaTeX file that's about 9MB of ASCII TeX source code.

Running this through TeXShop outputs a 14.6MB PDF file that has 3,884 landscape pages. There are no illustrations.

Using TeXShop 4.69 and TeXLive 2019 on my Intel MacBook Pro (circa 2015), typesetting this 3,884-page document takes about 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Using TeXShop 4.7 and TeXLive 2021 on my M1 MacBook Pro (circa 2022), typesetting this same document takes about 1 minute and 45 seconds.

So it's not a perfect comparison, due to two different texlive distributions, but I would bet that doesn't matter much. But it's a long enough job that the initial constant time spent loading the binary format and all the packages is minimal.

In any case, the decrease in run time is from 150 seconds down to 105 seconds for this very long but generally vanilla document. That's a pretty significant change, representing something like a 30% to 40% increase in speed.

Doug McKenna