[OS X TeX] benchmark a pdflatexmk run on a Mac Studio?

Warren Nagourney via MacOSX-TeX macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
Mon May 2 17:38:15 CEST 2022

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 2, 2022, at 7:34 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Somebody wrote to this mailing list recently about a problem with TeXShop encountered on a Mac Studio.
>
> Who was that person?
>
> I ask because I would like to request somebody with a Mac Studio — preferably with the M1 MAX versions — to benchmark a pdflatexmk run of a book-length source of mine. (It currently takes over 5 minutes on my iMac, which is uncomfortably long to wait out before I proceed to further writing and editing; so I’m considering a Mac Studio.)
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg        murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
> Mobile (413)-427-5334
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/TeX/
>                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

I wasn’t that person but I have run TeXShop on my M1 Pro laptop and the results were exactly the same as on my bottom of the line M1 MacBook Air. TeX is single threaded and seems to have no benefit from the larger number of cores in the newer M1 variants.

I had thought that the increased CPU memory bandwidth (3x on the Pro and Max) might help but it apparently doesn’t. Nor does the faster SSD. I was tyosetting a 170 page book using pdflatex which took only about 2 seconds - maybe a longer job might benefit from the newer chips. I somehow doubt it but it would be interesting to see how an M1 Max does on a more involved job.

Cheers,

Warren Nagourney