[OS X TeX] OK to run fc-cache?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Nov 6 13:29:16 CET 2021

> On Nov 5, 2021, at 7:46 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In response to a font question I posted at https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/621487/what-font-from-where-to-use-cmu-serif-upright-italic, I’m getting advice to run command:
>
> 	fc-cache -f
>
> Given that my local texmf tree is at /Users/me/Library/texmf, I wanted to check with this MacTeX world that running the command is really OK and won’t interfere with the system/local dichotomy or with the actions of updating databases when I update packages through the TeXLive Utility app.
>
> If it is OK to run the command, the usual questions arises: run it with sudo or without?
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
> Mobile (413)-427-5334
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667

Howdy,

I believe fc-cache is used by Linux systems to set up font caches and isn't the thing to do with macOS. As a matter of fact the only fc-cache on my PATH is in X11.

If you need to add fonts to the macOS cache Open Font Book and drop the fonts into it. I've made a symlink of /Library/TeX/Root/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype in ~/Library/Fonts and then dropped it onto Font Book to activate the fonts there.

herbs at wideopenwest.com