[OS X TeX] install spell checking dictionary for Bulgarian

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jun 6 14:01:07 CEST 2021

> On Jun 5, 2021, at 9:05 PM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Herb,
>
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 10:17 PM Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> When macOS Sierra came out I was worried that cocoAspell would stop working in the near future (I'm still surprised it works under Bug Sur). I put together a file that sort-of duplicates some of the setup for cocoAspell and asked Micheal Sharpe to create an Applescript Macro (Micheal is amazing with Applescript and Fonts---e.g. he's behind newtx and newpx fonts) to work the magic to Save and Close the .tex file, execute aspell in Terminal and re-open the file in TeXShop when completed. Not as convenient as going through Apple's Spell Check like cocoAspell does but it works pretty well.
>

> I've downloaded cocoAspell from the github
> https://github.com/leuski/cocoAspell
>
> But then, I can't  make it work. I'm not sure if it comes with the installation already pre-set. here is what I did:
>
> (1) downloaded the full set of the files
> cocoAspell-master
> cocoAspell-master $ ls
> LICENSE
> README.md
> aspell
> cocoAspell-2.x
>
> (2) cd /Library/Application Support/
> sudo mkdir cocoAspell
> cd cocoAspell
> sudo mv ~/Downloads/cocoAspell-master .
> $ cd cocoAspell-master
> cd cocoAspell-2.x
>
> (3)
> make install
> make: Nothing to be done for `install'.
>
> Is it a pre-installed directory?
>
> (4) I downloaded  aspell6-en-2020.12.07-0
> from:
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html
> and installed it by the instructions in:
> aspell6-en-2020.12.07-0/README
>
> /Library/Application Support/cocoAspell $ ls
> aspell6-en-2020.12.07-0
> cocoAspell-master
>
> I do not know what are the files .rws
> They seem byproducts without further role, and I cleaned them by:
> make clean
>
> (5) System Preferences doesn't show
> cocoAspell preference pane
> So, I haven't actually done the installion?
>
> I'll continue during the day, hoping for help with
> - the cocoAspell installation
> - the cocoAspell preference pane
> - Where should I move the directory:
> Sierra & cocoAspell
> to install / activate the macro?
>
> Best Regards,
> Roussanka
>

> Since cocoAspell still seemed to work in Sierra I never really put anything  formal together.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> herbs at wideopenwest.com

Howdy,

I have never built cocoAspell. I put out that information in case there was some knowledgeable person who might want to take up the project.

If there is a complete, ready to install, cocoAspell 2.5 in MacTeXtras (which has lots of other stuff too and is a large download). Go to the MacTeXtras link at <https://www.tug.org/mactex/>. Hopefully the installer still works. You may have to help it pass security check the first time you try to open the preference pane.

herbs at wideopenwest.com