[OS X TeX] install spell checking dictionary for Bulgarian

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sat Jun 5 23:27:05 CEST 2021

Roussanka,

> On Jun 5, 2021, at 2:06 PM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dick,
>
> I'm not sure whether I understand the details of your explanation, but clearly: it's you who should write the code that you describe.
>
> Until then, shall I go and download cocoAspell and try the Applescript Macro provided by herb and Micheal Sharpe. I'm a little bit worried about mixing up some of the settings of Mac Spelling and  TeXShop. And this is just for a single file of 3 pages in Bulgarian. (the Ministry of Education and Sciences of Bulgaria wants it in Bulgarian, instead in English!) Few months ago I tried to spell check another .tex file with  Bulgarian text and, during the process, I deleted cocoAspell. That messed up the spelling in TeXShop and in Aquamacs. Win Treese helped me to restore the default spelling by NSSpellChecker: and that was not easy.
>
> Actually, what I want with the bg... (bulgarian) dictionaries, for this .tex file of 3 pages in the typeset pdf, is hyphenation provided by these dictionaries, hopefully. The three pages of the typeset pdf now look very ugly, with heavily rugged right-hand sides. I guess I can manage the spell checking from Word, even if I'm clumsy with it.
>
> But better we get the ispell dictionaries to work with TexShop. And also with cocoAspell. I'll start reading Herb's instructions and will try to download cocoAspell. Maybe, until i manage, meanwhile you'll get the code that you describe :)
>
> Best Regards,
> Roussanka

There has been little recent work on the cocoAspell program. Its author put it on github in hopes that someone else would take it over.

We really need a programmer to do that, or perhaps start from scratch using ispell or aspell or something else and provide an alternate override for NSSpellChecker. I have enough on my plate and won't do this. I'd urge anyone interested to take on this project.

Notice that overriding NSSpellChecker would mean that the work would help ALL FRONT ENDS and ALL COCOA PROGRAMS.

Herb knows a lot more than I do about installing the current cocoAspell.

Notice that this has nothing to do with hyphenation in TeX. Hyphenation is done by the TeX engine, not the front end. One of Knuth's students implemented hyphenation in TeX as a PhD project, and since then there has been enormous work on hyphenation for many many languages. Consult a TeX expert on a general mailing list like texhax for help with Bulgarian hyphenation.

Richard Koch