[OS X TeX] install spell checking dictionary for Bulgarian

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jun 5 22:17:12 CEST 2021

> On Jun 5, 2021, at 2:55 PM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Herb,
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 5:27 PM Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> Howdy,
>
> Are you installing for use with cocoAspell? If so you can't ise the ispell dictionries. You can pick up dictionaries for aspell 0.60 (which is used by cocoAspell) at <https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html>.
>
> There is Aspell on osMac version 11.4. (/usr/local/bin/aspell) and (/usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60/) I downloaded the bulgarian dictionary folder, created by the same developer, Radostin Radnev, from the above website. The installation commands ran finely, from inside aspell6-bg-4.1-0 directory. I see newly generated Makefile and bg.rws, and bg dictionary files in:
>
> /usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60
>
> But I do not know how to use aspell in TeXShop, and that temporarily, on a single .tex file , without overriding the default spelling program (ispell-program-name NSSpellChecker).
>
> Better, to get the default spelling for Bulgarian work. I see some instructions:
> System Preferences > Keyboard > Text  > Spelling > Set up...
> To add an additional spelling dictionary, copy the dictionary fies (.aff and .dic) to the Spelling folder in your Library folder.
> I tried, but it doesn't work for the bulgarian.aff and  bulgarian.dict (given in ispell-bg-4.2/data).
>
> Regards,
> Roussanka
>
> Assuming you are using version 2.5 (that's the last version created quite a few years ago) follow the directions in
>

> for installation of the dictionary. You don't need `Stuffit Expander' just double click the .tar.bz2 file and it should expand to a folder.
>
> PS: that document is just the Readme file from the cocoAspell 2.5 distribution.
>
> PPS: cocoAspell hasn't been updated in a very long time and is getting a bit long in the tooth. One of these days it will no longer work and every time there is a major macOS update I'm apprehensive. If there is someone out there with Apple programming experience who is interested in Spell Checkers and who might be interested in the project for ``fun'' there is a GIT project at <https://github.com/leuski/cocoAspell>.
>

> I've been trying to use ispell or what is the default spell checking program on the Mac / TexShop / Aquamacs. I though it is via ispell, for TexShop, because:
>
> Aquamacs has LaTeX aware spell checking, by Mac / Apple spelling program,
> with ispell-program-name NSSpellChecker, via ispell interface of Emacs.
>
> No, I do not have cocoAspell. I lost it when I tried to update it from leuski's website. It's indeed very old and I would prefer what TeXShop and Aquamacs use. And that is why I picked up
> ispell-bg-4.2
> from:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/bgoffice/files/Ispell%20BG/
> (nothing there is specifically for Mac)

> [...]

Howdy,

When macOS Sierra came out I was worried that cocoAspell would stop working in the near future (I'm still surprised it works under Bug Sur). I put together a file that sort-of duplicates some of the setup for cocoAspell and asked Micheal Sharpe to create an Applescript Macro (Micheal is amazing with Applescript and Fonts---e.g. he's behind newtx and newpx fonts) to work the magic to Save and Close the .tex file, execute aspell in Terminal and re-open the file in TeXShop when completed. Not as convenient as going through Apple's Spell Check like cocoAspell does but it works pretty well.