[OS X TeX] Changing the size of pp=th roots?

David Derbes derbes.physics at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 16:55:47 CEST 2021

If one wants to indicate a pth root of, say, $k$, $\sqrt[p]{k}$, the $p$ often appears too low in the square root sign, or too close to the solidus. The fix is easy; one uses \uproot or \leftroot and adjusts accordingly.

This is a slightly different annoyance. While reading a math text (Harold M. Edwards, Galois Theory, Springer, which I recommend highly), I was struck by the relative sizes of the $p$ and the quantity inside the root sign.
In short, standard $\LaTeX$ prints the $p$ quite a bit smaller than Springer does, and it’s a lot easier to read Springer’s version. I won’t paste the PDF of a scan here to reduce bandwidth, but as near as I can measure,
if the radicand is the height of $k$ as a full 10 points, say, then for  $\LaTeX$ the $p$ gets 4.5 points, while for Springer it’s 6 points.

I’ve looked for an answer and tried various hacks, to no avail. Anyone know a solution?

Thanks for your time and thought.

David Derbes
friendly neighborhood physics teacher (retired)