[OS X TeX] Previewing PDF with movie/aniations

Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
Fri Jan 8 01:48:03 CET 2021

> Themis,
>   Until recently, I used Adobe Reader, in the full screen mode, for making beamer presentations. But, with the shift to Zoom, I have found Reader to be rather awkward. My solution has been to use this utility for converting pdfs to keynote presentations:
> https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~oneill/freesoftware/pdftokeynote.html
>
> What it does is to create a keynote presentation with each page of the pdf placed in a slide. I find that it works very well. Among other things, the keynote slides are very quick to load and do not show the lag that pdfkit apps (including TexShop and Skim) do, with an initial fuzzy image appearing before the sharp image does.
>
> Movies embedded in pdfs do not get included into the keynote slides, but they can be easily dragged in. I would still like to embed movies in pdfs, for the versions that I post for my students, but doing this continues to be a poorly supported option in LaTeX, so far as I can tell.
>
> David Goldenberg

David,

This is a great tip. I had thought about the PDF-to-Keynote route but was surprised that Keynote does not natively read PDFs and instead you have to drag-and-drop one page at a time, then manually resize it. This app is very handy.  For me the main convenience of embedding is that I can present everything through a single window in presentation mode without having to switch apps.

Themis