[OS X TeX] \jobname works in 2013 but not in 2020

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed Sep 23 01:28:52 CEST 2020

Hi Alain,

On 23 Sep 2020, at 7:34 am, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at freemathtexts.org<mailto:schremmer.alain at freemathtexts.org>> wrote:

3. MWE_complete-1 works fine under 2013 but still not under 2020 which, with all grateful respect I owe Collins---whose LaTeXMark I couldn’t live without, makes it a working example … of what’s wrong with all these upgrades of TeXlive: what would I do without this list when I have to “upgrade”?

In case it helps …

  … using 2019, I had to make just one change (that you seem to have missed) to compile OK;

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\input{../Text-contents/0}%Preface
% \include{../Text-contents/0}%Preface
%%-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You changed other  \include  to  \input ,  but somehow not this one.

BTW, there is indeed a difference between  \include  and  \input.
But it really only matters when you use  \includeonly{… }  to selectively update individual chapters.

\include  maintains its own  .aux  (and other) file for each inclusion.
This is what allows you to work on single or specific chapters only, and still have the page-numbers
and cross-references show correctly.

IMHO, these days the computers are so fast, that this kind of selective editing is not as useful
as it used to be. However, it still has a place, if you have multiple authors each working on
different chapters; e.g., in a Proceeedings volume, of similar large document.

Now for the catch, which I think is what was biting you.

Modern versions of TeX (or maybe it is TeXshop itself), do *not* let you *write* files
within directories that are *not* sub-folders of the current directory.

Thus your  \include{../Text-contents/0}   will not work, as writing to  ../Text-contents/0.aux   is disallowed.
— unless you specifically call  pdflatex  with command-line switches that do allow it.

This is a security precaution, for your own safety.

As otherwise you could inadvertently clobber a file that is not obviously
within the directory hierarchy of your working directory.
A file of the same name may be found as part of a different project,
and your current project just overwrites it !

Or you downloaded a (unknown to you) malicious source file from the web, or a mailing list (!!!!)
and tried to run it.  Unknown to you it trashes existing files elsewhere on your system,
that happen to lie in standard places, but not under your current working directory.

Hope this helps.
Stay safe.

Ross

Best,
—schremmer

<MWE_complete-1.zip>

Dr Ross Moore
12 Wally’s Walk, Level 7, Room 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:ross.moore at mq.edu.au>
http://www.maths.mq.edu.au
[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]
CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University. <http://mq.edu.au/>
<http://mq.edu.au/>