[OS X TeX] Spell checking

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 02:19:06 CEST 2020

Hi,

Aquamacs has LaTeX aware spell checking, by Mac / Apple spelling program,
with ispell-program-name NSSpellChecker, via ispell interface of Emacs.

In mid July, after uninstalling cocoAspell, Aquamacs lost the cocoAspell
setting, which I had set previously in it. Aquamacs took Swedish (sv) as
the default dictionary. It took me some effort, and thanks to Win Treese's
explanations of Spelling machinery in Aquamacs, I managed to set it to one
of Apple's English dictionaries (en_GB).

Now Aquamacs spell checks only British English, even if I have selected

In System Preferences->Keyboard->Text pane:
in the pull-down menu:

Spelling: Automatic by Language

To spellcheck Swedish, I have to select
Spelling: Svenska

The option Spelling: Automatic by Language doesn't detect the language
automatically. That would be very useful, for switches between files in
different languages, or working on files with several languages.

The Aquamacs team, Win Treese and Nathaniel Cunningham, wrote to me that
they'll look into it.

But, it's very annoying that Apple doesn't  include a Bulgarian dictionary:
at least, I can't see spell checking for Bulgarian with LaTeX, in Aquamacs
and TeXShop. I can't see it in the list:
 System Preferences->Keyboard->Text pane.

I have to install a Bulgarian dictionary from the Aspell website. Actually,
unsuccessful attempts to do that (because I didn't have CL tools) took me
into uninstalling cocoAspell, by considering it needed to be updated.

Best Regards,
Roussanka