[OS X TeX] Spell checking

Warren Nagourney via MacOSX-TeX macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
Sun Sep 6 00:01:50 CEST 2020

> On Sep 5, 2020, at 2:50 PM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 5, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have been trying to prepare for the horrible day that cocoAspell no longer runs.
>
> We're counting on you  Herb to lead us to Enlightenment in all things LaTeX :)
>
> Despite the emoji, really!
>
> Themis

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

My solution to things like this is to keep on an older version of macOS as long as possible. The OS matured a long time ago and the new versions have little of interest to me (things like dark mode, which I hate). Neither the OS nor the apps which run on it will go up in smoke when new versions are released.

I appreciate that security updates will no longer be provided at some time. When that happens, I can take my Mac offline for most of the time to avoid the security problems. Also, my current version (High Sierra) will not run on new ARM based Macs. Much as I love the processor switch away from Intel, my current 5 year old MacBook Pro runs fine and does everything I want.

I must say, I am not a fan of the newest version (Big Sur) of macOS. I have the beta on an external SSD and it is very hard on my aging eyes - there is a serious reduction in contrast and readability of many components of the OS. Just like iOS (since iOS 7), looks take precedence over functionality.

Warren Nagourney