[OS X TeX] Spell checking

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 5 23:19:02 CEST 2020

> On Sep 5, 2020, at 4:35 PM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>
> There needs to be some progress in LaTeX-aware spelling.
>
> By trial  and error (plus frustration) I came to realize that for ASpell to be the default spell checker in TS the dictionary in the Source window must be set to "English". Not "en", not "en_GB" etc, but "English". This is not obvious and cost me some effort to figure. I don't know where the other dictionaries came from or how to remove to decrease clutter, pollution and possible error. It does seem to me that latex-aware spelling on the mac is currently in the dark ages. In the golden age there was Excalibur, now only a legend. With ASpell left unsupported the future does not look promising.
>
> Themis
>

> <Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 4.20.41 PM.png>

Howdy,

The other dictionaries are the ones supplied by Apple. I seem to remember that Dick Koch said something about this when the feature was introduced and mentioned that to use cocoAspell you needed to use English and the the en-* versions were Apple's dictionaries. That discussion may have been related to the `% !TEX spellcheck = ' directive.

I have been trying to prepare for the horrible day that cocoAspell no longer runs. Aspell is still there; run `which aspell` (without the quotes) in Terminal. The enclosed zipped folder contains information about using the built-in Aspell similar to the setup by cocoAspell. The enclosed TeXShop Applescript Macro (the .plist file) was written by Michael Sharpe; it Saves and Closes the file, runs aspell in Terminal, and re-opens the file in TeXShop. I believe that any personal dictionary information from cocoAspell will be lost but I don't remember.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)