[OS X TeX] Spell checking

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 5 16:52:21 CEST 2020

> On Sep 5, 2020, at 10:22 AM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Best Regards,
> Roussanka
>

> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 3:49 PM Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 5, 2020, at 9:37 AM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do I get English(Aspell)?
>>
>> I do not see it in the list:
>> TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:)
>>
>> I do not have the Spell icon in the System Preferences.
>>
>> I used to have Aspell, but after attempts to update it, I lost Aspell and the Preference Pane Spell (icon) in the System Preferences. I tried to reinstall it, from scratch, by following instructions from:
>> CocoAspell from <http://cocoaspell.leuski.net>
>> https://people.ict.usc.edu/leuski/cocoaspell//public_html/
>> I asked Leuski by email address that was on that website, but I've never got any answer.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Roussanka
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 1:14 PM Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Herb,
>>
>> > That, of course, will then use that dictionary as default in other apps, like Mail, which I like but others may not. I believe you can choose the `English(Aspell)' dictionary for TeXShop alone by setting it in TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) Menu Item. Again, I use it for all my apps so I'm not sure.
>>
>> It did not occur to me to look at the  Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar menu item, I thought it would be in the preferences somewhere. Thanks for pointing this out.
>>
>> Themis
>
> Howdy,
>
> Have you installed cocoAspell?
>
> I uninstalled it when I tried to update it. I can see an older version in:
>
> root  admin  1444253 Nov  7  2016 /Applications/TeX/Docs and Spell Utilities/Spelling/cocoAspell/cocoAspell.pkg
>
> Shall I try to install that? If yes, is that by clicking the (cocoAspell.pkg), in Finder?
>
> Best Regards,
> Roussanka
>

> If you do and there is a problem let us know.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

That sounds like the right Date.

Please note that it hasn't been updated in a long time and it may need command line tools to get a new installation working under Catalina.

In Terminal run `make --version` and let me know what you get. If you get a dialog box that asks if you want to install the CL tools or XCode decline and let me know.

By the way, I just went to the web site for cocoAspell and it seems to be dead.

Finally, before trying to install cocoAspell, TeXShop has some settings that help in skipping over commands so you want to try that and see if it's `good enough' for your purposes. Under the Source tab of TeXShop->Preferences there is a section labelled Spell Checking. Simple play with the three check box items and see if that works for you.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)