[OS X TeX] hyperref problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 21 22:00:41 CEST 2020

> On Jun 22, 2020, at 7:35 PM, Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Zbigniew,
>
>> On 23 Jun 2020, at 10:23 am, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I forgot to answer your question: there are only two pages, but those buttons do toggle me between them.
>
> Everything’s fine with that PDF on my system, using viewers:
>
>  1. Acrobat Pro
>  2. Preview, from MacOS  (has no link previews)
>  3. Preview from TeXshop (with link previews)
>
> Also worth testing is to zoom the window to ~300% and check all your links.
> Otherwise, in full page views, some links may seem to be doing nothing
> as the current view is already showing where it links to.
>

>> Zbigniew Nitecki
>> Department of Mathematics
>> Tufts University
>> Medford, MA 02155
>>
>> telephones:
>> Office    (617)627-3843
>> Dept.    (617)627-3234
>> Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
>> http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/
>>

>>> On Jun 22, 2020, at 20:09, Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Zbigniew,

>>> Yes, I understood you to be saying this earlier; nevertheless it is good to be able to eliminate other possibilities.
>>> It is a very strange behaviour.
>>> Do you get any changed behaviour if you use the little “back view” arrows to return to page 1 or page 2,
>>> after using the PDF’s hyper-links? That is, the left-facing black triangle in this image:
>>>
>>> <Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.04.08 am.png>

>>> Can you send a 2-page document, as a PDF.
>>> I don’t believe that there’s anything wrong within the PDF, and it’s somehow all just on your own system.
>>> But as usual, let’s eliminate the PDF itself as a possibility.

Howdy,

I've discovered something relevant to this hyperlink problem.

I have had the Mouse Mode in the Toolbar of the Preview Window default to the Small Magnifying Glass. I noticed quite a while ago that when I typeset a document and TeXShop opened up the Preview Window the Mouse Mode wasn't initialized properly; e.g., clicking in the window wouldn't open the Small Magnfying Glass. At some point recently I opened up the Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks document and was surprised that the Mouse Mode was initialized in that case and hyperlinks didn't work at all! However, if I selected the Text, Hand or Selection mode hyperlinks worked perfectly. Once I set the default Mouse Mode to Text mode I have had no problem at all with hyperlinks. The combination of initially being in some unknown initial mode and having the default being one of the Magnifying Glasses is what was giving the strange sometimes working and later failing problem.

So the solution for the problem is to make the default Mouse Mode found on the Preview tab of TeXShop->Preferences to Text (or Hand or Selection) mode.

I've reported the problem to Dick Koch and the next update to TeXShop will fix  the initialization problem but it will still be necessary to set the Mouse Mode (either by the default setting or by clicking it in the Toolbar) to Text, Hand or Selection mode. Also, I wouldn't expect an update to TeXShop until Big Sur (macOS 11.0) comes out.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)