[OS X TeX] instant previewing

George Tourlakis gt at cse.yorku.ca
Tue Jul 7 17:04:10 CEST 2020

Hi all,

1) There was once “InstantTeX” for the NeXT operating system with not only instant previewing (DVI) but also you could drag an EPS file to the source file
and code for generating code a displaying it in TeX was provided automatically.

2) Then there was iTeXMac in the MacOSX era, now apparently “dead". That also had “instant” previewing (unless it is so long ago and I am mistaken?) as one wrote on the source file (display was PDF as it is now)

3) Not so important but some might like it: In iTeXMac you could select text and use the normal keyboard shortcut (Apple-b or Apple-i) to insert code for rendering bold or italics.

Which of these features do mathematicians  consider desirable, I wonder? Why did they disappear? Why did iTeXMac disappear?

Wish list: When (:-) will TeXShop incorporate previewing-as-you-write?

Cheers,
George