[OS X TeX] ``\mathit allowed only in math mode'' error while writing .idx

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 02:36:06 CET 2020

Right, the .idx is not being written into yet (zero bytes), due to the error.

The line numbers you mention seem to refer to the .ind, not the source files. (The root .tex file is rather short.)

Or am I misunderstanding the error message, which with all my chapters, etc., now included in the pdflatexmk run, now reads:

./topologybook.ind:1773: LaTeX Error: \mathit allowed only in math mode.
. . . .
l.1773 \item \idxmark{Urysohn Metrization Theorem}
                                                  , \hyperpage{506}

> On 10 Feb2020, at 7:24 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> It appears that the problem is in the .ind file or a write to it not .idx. Also, take a look at the paragraph at lines 1681--1683 in the root file which seems to be close to where that error is being generated.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334