[OS X TeX] Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Nestor Aguilera nestoreaguilera at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 23:13:14 CEST 2020

> On 24 Apr 2020, at 13:22, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 24, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Nestor Aguilera <nestoreaguilera at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Herb,

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> If I understand you correctly it isn't working correctly. The links aren't dead but in Preview I get a dialog box saying `The application can't be opened' and in Adobe Reader I get a dialog asking if it ok to open the URL to the file but then nothing happens.
>>>
>>> I did have to typeset each document and then do each document again in order to get the references correct.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>
>> Ok, I use Skim and hadn't tried the files with either Preview or Adobe Reader. I did that now and the results are as you stated. However, both work "as advertised" when compiling with the 2018 MacTex distribution.
>>
>> I guess Skim and Preview work on the same pdf interpreter, so the identical results are what one would expect.
>>
>> From the Adobe Reader behavior, I am inclined to believe that this a permission/protection issue inside the pdf file, probably coming from the hyperref/xr compilation.
>>
>> I could not find any warnings in the "manual" for hyperref (January 2020), nor in the "xr" reference (July 2019).
>>
>> Just to make sure, I would like to know if the enclosed pdfs compiled with the 2018 distribution work in someone else's machine. I promise I didn't put any viruses in the links.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Nestor
>
> Howdy,
>
> I just tried the pdf files you supplied. They give dead links in Preview (Catalina 10.15.4) and I suspect Skim does the same since they both use PDFKit. Under Adobe Reader clicking on the link brings up a side panel element to convert the file to docx!? In neither case does it work as I would expect, i.e., it brings up the other document.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Hi Herb,

Everything (Skim, Preview, Adobe Reader) is working fine here with the 2018 compilation, **but** I am on Mojave 10.14.6. So I tried all files with a recent version of Adobe Reader on Windows 10 and the behavior is similar to what you are seeing: at some point it asks for permissions but nothing happens, and the 2018 versions don't work either.

Since I would like to upload files calling each other so anyone can use them (instead of uploading a big file), I would very much appreciate any advice.

All the best,

Nestor