[OS X TeX] Font rendering in Mojave 12.4.6

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 10 20:12:55 CET 2019

Due to a long standing reliability issue of my old DSL internet connection, I haven’t done any massive downloads for several years, including yearly system upgrades, so I’ve been stuck on Sierra 10.12.6. Now that I’m on a fast fiber connection, I’m ready to move up. I’m seeing lots of bug issues in Catalina at this point, including a supposedly serious PDFKit bug, so I’m inclined to move instead to 12.4.6 at this point. However, I’m on a 1080P monitor because my 2014 Mac Mini can only do 4K at 30Hz. I’ve seen ongoing complaints on the internet about font smoothing in Mojave even with one or more suggested “fixes.” Reading math in Skim or TexShop is painful on a 1080P monitor without decent font smoothing. Has anyone else had experience with a 1080P monitor on Mojave?

(I’ve also seen mention of a number of outstanding bugs in Mojave that were not fixed even with 12.4.6. We never seem to be able to get beyond beta testing anymore. The old Sierra, though, has been extremely stable for me.)

Richard Séguin