[OS X TeX] Testing Hardened Runtime in Basic TeX

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Tue May 21 21:43:19 CEST 2019

Murray,

Thanks for this test, and even more for the detailed report.

The line that stands out to me is that you use biber. Biber is not in BasicTeX and thus was not in this BasicTeX-Hardened package. I suppose you got it from one of the extra packages you installed. Do you know which one has it?

The reason this is interesting is that biber is a special case. When TeX Live is compiled, the builders to not compile biber. Instead its authors provide pre-compiled binaries which are inserted into TeX Live. When I had to adopt hardened runtimes for the various binary programs in TeX, the one program that did not work was biber. I notified the authors and they are working on that problem. At last report they had made progress, but still did not have a version which could adopt a hardened runtime and yet work correctly.

The binaries that were added by the packages you added do NOT have hardened runtimes. But we have also tested the full MacTeX, and it is known that biber is the only case of a TeX binary which cannot currently be hardened.

The key unknown is whether any of the remaining binaries require "exceptions" to run correctly.

Dick Koch