[OS X TeX] Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Mon Jan 28 21:18:32 CET 2019

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 11:47 , R Martinez <rm.tech at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I confirmed Themis’s observation: Goto Error does not always work.
>
> First test: I removed the closing brace from a footnote and Goto Error did not do anything when I clicked on it.

Yeah; this is one of the errors that is difficult to pinpoint: the error occurs where the closing brace isn’t :-}, and that is hard to locate...

> Second test: I removed the closing brace from a \cite command and this time Goto Error sent me to the line just below the missing brace.

Might be because the parser expects the the citation to end before certain other tokens pop up?

> Third test: I added an extra closing brace to the same \cite command and Goto Error sent me to the precise spot of the extra brace.

The closing brace without a corresponding opening brace is easy to spot.

As Dick said, these are errors that TeX itself either locates or can’t locate…

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income