[OS X TeX] Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Mon Jan 28 21:03:18 CET 2019

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 11:47 AM, R Martinez <rm.tech at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I confirmed Themis’s observation: Goto Error does not always work.
>
> First test: I removed the closing brace from a footnote and Goto Error did not do anything when I clicked on it.
>
> Second test: I removed the closing brace from a \cite command and this time Goto Error sent me to the line just below the missing brace.
>
> Third test: I added an extra closing brace to the same \cite command and Goto Error sent me to the precise spot of the extra brace.
>
> So it’s hit and miss. As it happens, I hardly ever use Goto Error, so I hadn’t noticed the issue.
>
> HTH,
>
> Raul Martinez

In each of these cases, the natural question to ask is "Where did TeX believe the error was, according to the console report?" It is a known fact that TeX will sometimes report an error in a different spot than the actual error. You cannot expect TeXShop to improve on that, because it is using TeX's output to locate the error.

Dick Koch