[OS X TeX] Format for enumerate environment

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Thu Aug 8 00:28:04 CEST 2019

This is undoubtedly a stupid question, but bear with me.

I am trying to format an enumerated list (using the enumerate environment, and we are at the top level—this is not inside another “enumerate” environment).  I want to have the numbering in arabic followed by a period, as in
1. First item
2. Second item
etc, but I need to interrupt the list to insert commentary/instructions.  I know about both the enumitem package (using \end{enumerate}, then \begin{enumerate}[resume} and the mdwlist package, (using \suspend{enumerate} then \resume{enumerate}.  For some reason (is it because I am using the amsart document style?) the default labelling is in parentheses, contrary to what the Latex Companion says.

I can change the format back to the one I want, using \usepackage{enumerate} and \begin{enumerate}[1.], but can’t interrupt the list—at least I don’t know how: if I don’t invoke either enumitem or mdwlist, I know I have to go through contortions to resume the numbering after the comment, which I don’t quite understand (the explanation on pp 129-131 is opaque to me).

If I try to use enumitem and start with \begin{enumerate}[1.], even with \usepackage{enumerate},  it tells me 1. is undefined.

If I use mdwlist alone with the same initial \begin{enumerate}[1.] I get an immediate missing item error.

The best outcome I managed was to \usepackage{enumerate} together with \mdwlist;  with the initial \begin{enumerate}[1.] :
if I don’t try to put [1.] after the \resume{enumerate} I get a good listing, but the first part of the list is labeled as desired (1. First) but the second part is
indented, and labeled parenthetically ( (3) Third ).  I’ve attached the minimal example with this configuration.

If I try to use [1.] after \resume{enumerate}, it finds a missing item in the second part of the list.

Can someone give me a (hopefully straightforward) solution to the problem, so that I get

1. First item
2. Second item
We pause for a break
3. Third item