[OS X TeX] font installation

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 22 14:12:53 CEST 2018

> On Sep 22, 2018, at 6:57 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 22, 2018, at 6:05 AM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> I want to install mtpro2 (I'm on texlive 2018). According to my notes, which I believe came from Herb:
>>
>>> Fonts must be installed in personal tree: /Users/themis/Library/texmf/...
>>>
>>> 1. Create the file /Users/themis/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg with contents:
>>>
>>> #! Map belleek.map
>>> Map mtpro2.map
>>>                 <--- leave one line blank!!!
>>>
>>> NOTE: This file only needs to be created once - LEAVE BLANK LINE AT HE END!
>>>
>>> 2. Run updmap in the terminal every time TL is updated.
>>
>> I've done steps 1 and 2 but when  I run updmap in the terminal it tells me to specify -user or -sys. It seems to me I ought to use updmap -user but I wanted to check with the experts before I do the wrong thing.
>>
>> Themis
>
> Howdy,
>
> While installing in the personal tree works fine I generally recommend installation in the texmf-local tree.
>
> Yes, updmap was changed a while ago so that the use is symmetric between -sys and -usr. So, if you do install in the personal tree you need to use updmap-user. (I'll have to check my documentation to see if I updated it!) You will have to run updmap-user at least once so that the TeX distriibution `knows' about the font.
>
> If you use TeX Live Utility to do updates make sure you check the `Automatically enable fonts in my home direcotry' item in TeX Live Utility->Preferences so it will run updmap-user after a font update since tlmgr only runs updmap-sys. That way you can avoid step 2 when you update TL.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

I just checked and indeed I did update the document that describes font installation (in both the texmf-local and personal trees. It is called TeXLive2017+Changes.pdf.zip on my download site, <https://herbs.github.io>. I left the earlier version, TeXLive2014+Changes.pdf.zip, on the site for those folks who have pre-2017 TeX Live distributions. I guess I should take that version down at some point.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)