[OS X TeX] cocoAspell

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 15 19:06:27 CEST 2018

> On Sep 15, 2018, at 10:48 AM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at icloud.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 15, 2018, at 10:19 AM, Gary L. Gray <euler at psu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sep 15, 2018, at 9:33 AM, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> The "Dictionary" Preference item is broken in most localizations of TeXShop, possibly even English.
>>> This is fixed in version 4.08, which will be released when Mojave is released.
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I thought I had this set correctly, but I am running 4.08 and I cannot get that setting to stick in Preferences > Source. That is, when I choose "English (United States) [w_accents]", it reverts back to "Automatic Language" the next time I check.
>>

> I am thoroughly confused:
>
> My TS does not give me a choice for "English (United States) [w_accents]”, or for any other dictionary in cocoaspell. The choices I get are: “Automatic Language”, “en”, “en_gb” etc, which seem abbreviated names for the same dictionaries I see in the Keyboard preference pane.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Does the Text tab of Keyboard Pane in System Preferences show that you have an English (with possible other stuff) dictionary? If not Check that you have a dictionary checked off in the Spelling pane supplied by cocoAspell. As I said I just have the English dictionary checked off there. Then an English (Aspell) dictionary appears in the Text tab of the Keyboard pane.

Finally, in TeXShop I have English as the dictionary chosen in the Source tab of TeXShop->Preferences (you may have to update to the latest 4.08 beta to be able to change that---I've inherited it from ages ago) and Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar shows English (Aspell) as my dictionary.

I believe the setting in System Preferences set the Global Default for all apps (e.g., I use the English (Aspell) in Mail) while the TeXShop Preference setting is the default set for TeXShop and the one in the Spelling and Grammar window is the actual one you are using (which you can change for any given document.

Note: there is also a TeXShop directive that selects a dictionary:

% !TEX spellcheck = English

to select the English (Aspell) dictionary on a document by document basis.

Again, I just check off English (with no extra descriptors) in the cocoAspell Spelling pane.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)