[OS X TeX] Placement of files

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 19 15:45:38 CEST 2018

> On Oct 19, 2018, at 8:25 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:
>
> Herb:
>
> 1. The directions you gave for making the Library folder visible don’t work for me (I am using OS 10.11.6).  After closing the window, the drop down menu for “Go” still doesn’t show Library.
>
> 2. More important (for me), I changed the upper case to lower case in the file names “texmf” and “tex”.  However, I am still getting the weird error message which shows up in the screen shot below:
> <Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 9.17.40 AM.png>
>

> Zbigniew Nitecki
> Department of Mathematics
> Tufts University
> Medford, MA 02155
>
> telephones:
> my office     (617) 627-3843
> dept. off.    (617) 627-3234
> dept. fax    (617) 627-3966
>
> http://sites.tufts.edu/znitecki/

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> It should be ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex and notice the lower case Ts. Also, ~/Library is the Library folder in your HOME folder, NOT the one in the root of your hard drive which is called /Library (no ~). To open that ~/Library folder in Finder hold down the Opt key and click on the Go menu to see an item to open that Library.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> One more thing... You can easily make ~/Library permanently visible in your HOME folder. Open your HOME folder (Shft-Cmd-H in Finder). Then open View->Show View Options (Cmd-J). Check the `Show Library Folder' box and then close the View Options window. Tada... that Library folder is now permanently visible.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

1: It will NOT show up in the Go menu but will be visible in your HOME folder. So open your HOME folder (Shft-Cmd-H in Finder) and you can simply double-click it to open.

2: Note that you don't actually load shellesc.sty so one of your special packages, e.g., mymathmacros(?), must try to load it. I'd guess it's NOT one of the packages you placed in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex since it's part of recent TeX Live distributions installed by MacTeX. Please run the command

kpsewhich shellesc/sty

in the Terminal application and let me know what it returns. Also, how old is the TeX distribution on your system?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)