[OS X TeX] TeXShop Scroll Bug

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Thu Oct 11 17:45:14 CEST 2018

Folks,

SHORT VERSION

While TeXShop is not running, issue the following command in Terminal to fix scrolling in the source window:

	defaults write TeXShop FixLineNumberScroll NO

LONG VERSION

Around the time of macOS Lion, scrolling in the TeXShop source window developed a "bounce" as it reached the top or bottom of the source. Apple calls this bounce "vertical Scroll Elasticity" and Cocoa has commands programmers can use to adjust it. My collaborators and I added a couple of hidden Preferences to reduce the vigor of the bounce. There were two such hidden preferences, but I concentrated on the preference to turn the bounce off.

Over the years, these Preferences stopped working. For Mojave, I decided to ignore the hidden preference and always activate the command which turned the bounce off. But this command seemed to do nothing or very little.

Meanwhile, the bounce became more and more  "agitated and frenzied." Last night a user wrote to complain,
and I finally had time to take a closer look at the code. I discovered that if you turn off line numbers, the agitation and frenzy vanish. The bounce remains, but now it is like the mild bounce everywhere else in the Macintosh Kingdom.

Then I discovered that the second hidden preference modified the behavior of line numbers. Turning this second preference off made the bounce pleasant even when line numbers were activated. Unfortunately, the second preference was on by default.

To fix scrolling, issue the following command in Terminal while TeXShop is not running:

	defaults write TeXShop FixLineNumberScroll NO

In version 4.14 of TeXShop, I'll turn this fix off permanently regardless of Preference setting, thus automatically fixing the scroll for everyone. But this version will be delayed slightly because I have remade contact with the Korean localizer of TeXShop, and we'll use this version to bring that localization up to date.

Dick Koch
koch at uoregon.edu