[OS X TeX] TeXShop in MacTeX 2018 pretest

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Fri Mar 16 21:18:16 CET 2018

John,

Thanks very much for this test, which is actually good news for me,
Another user installed also on El Capitan and reported that pdftex
and other TeX binaries failed with an "illegal instruction 4" error.
On my El Capitan machine, the binaries work, and indeed they are
compiled on this machine.

My machine runs 10.11.6, as does yours. I don't yet know what version
of El Capitan this user is running.

NOTICE TO OTHERS: We desperately need more tests on El Capitan!!!

Now as to your particular issue, I don't know if TeXShop 3.98 runs on
El Capitan, but in the process or studying the issue above, I found that
version 3.99 runs fine. The release version of MacTeX-2018 will contain
3.99, and indeed it already does here. So you did the correct thing by
downloading the most recent TeXShop when the other one failed.

Dick Koch