[OS X TeX] mactex pretest

André Valentin ajj47.valentin at orange.fr
Fri Mar 16 18:35:33 CET 2018

> Le 16 mars 2018 à 16:59, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> a écrit :
>
> Andre,
>
> I typeset your document on High Sierra without any trouble.
>
> Then I installed BasicTeX on an El Capitan machine. (I didn't want to disturb the machine where I compile, so I
> used another machine.) Notice that BasicTeX and MacTeX have the SAME binaries.
>
> Your document still typeset without errors on El Capitan.
>
> This leads to several questions:
>
> 	1) Did you try typesetting other documents?

Yes but no one compiles...

> 	2) You typeset both from the command line and from a front end. Which front end did you use?
> 	TeXShop or something else?

I tried texworks, texstudio, texshop, to no avail.

> 	3) If you used TeXShop, did you use the one in MacTeX-2018 or an older one? Could you switch
> 	temporarily to an older one. I'll also test the latest TeXShop on El Capitan right now.

I use TeXShop 3.99 which I downloaded 2 days(?) ago.
It seems that neither binary in my mactex2018 works: I tried tex, asy, ptex, with the same result: "Illegal instruction: 4"

> Just now I updated TeXShop on El Capitan to the latest version, 3.99, and it ran fine and typeset your
> example without trouble. I also checked to make sure the 2018 version of pdftex was running. Hence
> I'm baffled as to why you had problems.
>
> Dick Koch
>
>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 8:18 AM, Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Andre,
>>
>> Thanks very much for the example. I'll try it shortly and report back.
>>
>> You apologize for your old machine, but actually I compile TeX Live 2018 on El Capitan
>> and thus support El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, and whatever system Apple introduces
>> at WWDC in June. So pdflatex on El Capitan should certainly work!
>>
>> More later.
>>
>> Dick Koch
>>

>>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 8:05 AM, André Valentin <ajj47.valentin at orange.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you Richard. I write to you off list because my file testmars18.tex is over simple:
>>>
>>> \documentclass{article}
>>> \begin{document}
>>> $a+b=x$
>>> \end{document}
>>>
>>> Note:
>>> 1) I am on the digest (so you could CC to me enventually) and
>>> 2) I cannot update my iMac to Sierra because it is too old