[OS X TeX] iPad presentation

Jim Chalfant jim at primal.ucdavis.edu
Fri Mar 2 17:30:02 CET 2018

I can’t compare GoodNotes to Notability, but I don’t think the recording of lectures has been mentioned.  I’ve been using Notability with an Apple Pencil and iPad Pro and like it for the other reasons mentioned.  I’m also using it to record lectures. I display either handwritten notes or Stata/R within LaTeX via Statweave.

After a lecture, I can simply forward the annotated document plus m4a files to Box (or Dropbox, of course) as a zip bundle, for processing and posting on our class web site. Unfortunately a small amount of processing is still needed; I’d like to post one mp3 file for the entire lecture but Notability produces m4a files in 20-minute blocks.

Way off topic, but I was very surprised that all I had to do after converting to mp3 was “cat” them in a Terminal window (on the Mac, of course).  It seemed too simple to work, but it did:

prompt> cat LecturePt1.mp3 LecturePt2.mp3 LecturePt3.mp3 > Lecture.mp3

Jim