[OS X TeX] Placing macro files

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jun 8 14:54:28 CEST 2018

> On Jun 7, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at math.fsu.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 7, 2018, at 10:50, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 7, 2018, at 8:00 AM, M. Tamer Özsu <ozsut at mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Following Herb’s suggestion, here is my setup for those types of files that enables me to use them across machines.
>>>
>>> - I have a master references file (references.bib) that I keep in ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib
>>> - I have a bunch of personal style files that I keep in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex
>>> - I have a symbolic link to ~/Library/texmf that I keep in Dropbox folder
>>>
>>> Everything syncs properly and latex finds them in place. The trick is to keep these files in ~/Library/texmf and put a symbolic link in Dropbox. Note that you have to do the symbolic link on every machine.
>>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> I'm a bit surprised that you link ~/Library/texmf into your Dropbox. I would have thought it should be the other way around. I don't understand how that works on multiple systems.
>>
>> I have folder of source files (not in ~/Library/texmf) I copied to my Dropbox folder which I update when any of those files change. On other systems I have a symblic link of the Dropbox folder to my documents folder. So when I update the folder on Dropbox on that source system the other systems automatically update.
>
> Isn’t it the case that one should have a folder texmf in Dropbox and link _to_ it from each machine? That is, on each machine ~/Library/texmf is a symlink to ~/Dropbox/texmf as in
> ls -l Library/texmf
> lrwxr-xr-x  […] Library/texmf@ -> /Users/<username>/Dropbox/texmf
> ?
>
> —Ettore

Howdy,

Yes, that is the way I would do it. I have one system that keep them separate where I make changes and tests and finally copy to the version I have in Dropbox. There have been way too many folks that have reported problems when making multiple, reasonably quick changes to files.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)