[OS X TeX] Encoding question

R Martinez rm.tech at mac.com
Fri Jul 6 19:29:03 CEST 2018

All,

I want to change the font encoding of a file I’m working on from Latin9 to UTF-8 so my work is concordant with the latest encoding recommendations from Dick Koch and Herb Schulz.

I am using TeXShop 4.01 and MacTeX2018.

So I created a new copy of my old file and changed the encoding as shown below. Then I closed the new file, selected UTF-8 as the encoding in TeXShop's Preferences, reopened the file then typeset it. The typesetting was correct. So far so good. But based on my perusal of other emails on this list, I have an uneasy feeling that the command sequence shown below may not be quite correct; that a different order may work better or that I am missing a command. Am I missing something?

I’ll appreciate comments and suggestions.

Thanks,

Raul Martinez

\documentclass[12pt,reqno]{amsart}

% !TEX encoding = UTF-8
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[lcgreekalpha]{stix}

\usepackage{textcomp}

\usepackage{amsmath,amsthm,amsxtra}
%\usepackage{amssymb}	%This is redundant when using STIX.