[OS X TeX] biber as backend & biblatex with defernumbers=true giving no numbers in bibliographies (TeXShop)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jul 6 01:38:19 CEST 2018

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 5:12 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a very complicated, book-length project with many files, using memoir documentclass, including two bibliographies, and using a custom biblatex style, that uses:
>
>   \RequirePackage[backend=biber,%
>     bibstyle=mybooknumeric,
>     citestyle=numeric,
>     dashed=true,
>     defernumbers=true,
>     urldate=iso,date=iso,seconds=true]%
>  {biblatex}
>

> Since I switched from backend=bibtex to backend=biber, all the numbers in the bibliographies themselves are printed as 0, as are all citations of those entries. (This still does not happen with backend=bibtex.)
>
> I’ve tried, without success, to reproduce this for something simple — a main .tex file and the two .bib files — that still uses the entirety of my preamble and the same biblatex style files and biblatex.cfg, but I don’t get the all-0’s with that!
>
> The issue has been discussed on tex.stackexchange (https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/299336/reference-0-with-defernumbers-true), but the alleged remedy given there of adding opetion sorting=non for biblatex makes no difference for me.
>
> Could there be some adjustment needed in config files for TeXShop itself, to ensure correct runs of biber?

Howdy,

Certainly NOT for TeXShop. How are you typesetting the document? The latexmk engines run of biber automatically; if not I assume you are using the directive

% !BIB program = biber

so that Typeset->BibTeX (Shft-Cmd-B) will use biber.

Also make sure you clean all the ``aux'' files.

Finally, if it isn't happening with the same preamble and a sample document there is something wrong in the document or the .bib files. Have you carefully looked over the log files (both for the (lua/xe/pdf)latex [.log] and biber [.blg] runs).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)