[OS X TeX] Spell checking in TS

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Aug 12 14:40:02 CEST 2018

> On Aug 12, 2018, at 7:21 AM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at icloud.com> wrote:
>

>> What dictionary are you using in TS and is it the same one as in TextEdit? What localization are you using?
>>

> Hi Herb,
>
> I have not consciously set dictionaries or localization, which is to say, I don’t know how to set these.

Howdy,

Localization is set in the Language & Region section of System Preferences and defaults to US English.

The default dictionary is set in In the Text tab of the Keyboard section of System Preferences. You can also set the dictionary locally for TeXShop in its Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) dialog. I believe this second method sets it locally for TeXShop (at one one time I think it set it globally).

> A few additional clues:
>
> 1. This is a phantom behavior and I have not figured a reproducible way to make it happen. Before I sent my previous email, I quit and relaunched TS, and I still got “équation”. But half an hour into latexing this behavior was gone and TS now suggests “equation".

This makes it really difficult to track down. :-(

> 2. “équation” is the only french word I have ever noticed when the spell checker in TS plays this game. Other word suggestions are in english.
>
> Themis

I also find it strange that only one word choice is being displayed. What dictionary are you using?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)