[OS X TeX] "file not found"

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Thu Aug 9 05:39:11 CEST 2018

I am running into a confounding problem.  I wanted to build a source file for a paper by inputting separate sections into a master file (ie, in masterfile.tex, have a line “\input{section}”, and creating separately a file
section.tex).

I think I have done this successfully before.  This time, the first input worked.  Then I tried to input into the section the contents of a file subsection.tex, in the same way—that is, via a command “\input{subsection}”.  (Note that all three are in the same folder).
I got an error “ Latex error: can’t find file subsection.tex”.
So I tried instead, in masterfile.tex, to follow the first command \input{section} with a second command \input{subsection}.  Same error message.

The file names I initially worked with are different, but that is the essence of the problem.

So I tried to create a “minimal example”.  Here are two files, sitting in the same folder:
InputTest has just a standard latex template, followed by “\input{first section}”.

Trying to compile this, I get the error message “can’t find file first section.tex”.  (that is, this time even the first input doesn’t work)  Here is the log file:

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155