[OS X TeX] troubles with TeXShop and network disks

wambacq Patrick.Wambacq at esat.kuleuven.be
Wed Aug 1 16:32:33 CEST 2018

Hi,

my department has a linux file server with latex source documents, that I access from my mac over the network. I used to do this with a combination of fuse, sshfs and Macfusion. But the latter has really become unstable lately so I looked at alternatives and than I ran into problems.

I found Mountain Duck (from the creators of CyberDuck) that seems to do the trick. I can easily mount volumes over ssh and access them as if they are local volumes, which is what I want. And this also works from home, without vpn. Other software can do similar things, but usually there is no integration with the Finder (you have to drag files around in the application's window), and this is what I like about Mountain Duck (and previously Macfusion).

But TeXShop does not render the result of consecutive typesetting steps correctly. It does not detect that the second step changes anything ino the output (i.e. the pdf window still does not show references, the toc etc). But if the output of the steps is viewed externally with another pdf viewer, it shows that the pdf contents are as expected. It's just that TexShop does not detect this because of missing temporary files or metadata (I think).

I suspect that this is caused by a feature that was recently added to Mountain Duck, quoting from their webpage: "Extended attributes and temporary files from applications are no longer saved on the remote volume but in a local temporary cache only.". See https://blog.cyberduck.io/2017/11/27/skip-writing-temporary-application-files-to-remote-volume/. I tried an earlier version of Mountain Duck, from just before this feature was added, and the problem goes away.

Can this indeed be the cause? And can something be done about it from the TexShop side? I sent an email to Mountain Duck support but have not yet received an answer. If I would find the location of Mountain Duck's local cache (but I still have to find it), is there a way to tell TexShop to look there?

Thanks

Patrick