[OS X TeX] TeX and Apple's possible transition to RISC

Juergen Fenn jfenn at gmx.net
Thu Apr 5 22:09:11 CEST 2018

Am 5 Apr 2018 11:40:07 -0700 Uhr schrieb Richard Koch:
> I hope to see a lot of comments. My comments translate to this: I'm not scared.

Me neither. If your workflow is based on plain text and LaTeX your data
is safe. I have never relied on a particular operating system or on a
particular platform in technical terms. I started with AIX, then I ran a
Win98 at home, then SuSE Linux 7, before turning to the Mac. My LaTeX
files and Emacs were always with me. I can still read the source of my
dissertation thesis I finished in 2004. If Apple prefers to focus on iOS
some day, I'll be the first to go. When I got myself the MB Pro I'm just
typing this text on now, I gathered that OS X would be a suitable
platform for the next, say, five years to come. I'm not the typical Mac
customer, Apple can easily do without me. And I can easily do without
Apple. It's just my platform for the time being. As we are Apple's
customers for the time being. We'll see what this firm is up to next.
Never bind yourself to a proprietary system. There's lots of time to
switch if need be.

Thanks, Dick, for sharing your developer's point of view.

Regards,
Jürgen.